Chocolate Prune Torte
- 6 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups pitted prunes, chopped (9 ounces)
- 9 ounces bittersweet choclate, ground fine in a food processor
Line the bottom of a greased 10" springform pan with wax paper. Grease the paper and sprinkle the pan with cake meal, shaking out the excess.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat the whites with a pinch of salt until they hold soft peaks. Add the sugar, a little at a time, beating until the whites until they hold stiff glossy peaks.
Fold in the walnuts and the prunes. Add the chocolate, and fold it into the mixture gently but thoroughly. Turn the mixture into the pan, smoothing the top evenly, and bake for 45 minutes.
Let the torte cool in the pan on a rack. Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan and remove the side. Invert the torte onto a cake plate, discarding the wax paper. Chill the torte, covered, for 1 hour.
The torte may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.
Marilyn, Lipken, Philadelphia, PA