Roasted Fruits in Cider
Pan-roasted winter fruits and glazed dried fruits give a new twist
to the traditional 'Jewish' compote. Make at Chanukah when glazed
dried fruits and nuts are easily available.
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in maple syrup and
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 pears, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 apples, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/3 cup chopped glazed mixed dried fruits
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons chopped glazed pecans
2. Add pears and apples. Partially cover and cook over medium-high heat
until barely tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in dried fruits and apple cider.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle pecans over top. Serve at room temperature.
This recipe is from Everyday Cooking for the Jewish Home by
Ethel G. Hofman and has been
reprinted with permission from the author.
© Ethel G. Hofman.